Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Prayer 1- Surrendering Love

"Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away. If one were to give all the wealth of his house for love, it would be utterly scorned." (Song of Solomon 8:7)

Prayer:


Dear Jesus,
I surrender the longing for love in my nature into Your hands, I know that without your grace and your guarding, I would be so tempted to give whatever it takes to pursue what I think is "love." I also surrender my future husband's love into Your hands on his behalf, help us to first experience Your love before we experience the love from each other, so when the day that You have made comes, we would be able to devote our love to each other.
I pray that you would fill and manifest in me and my future husband the love that cannot be quenched or washed away by water, so that we could esteem true love more than any other kinds of treasure in the world.


Personal reflection:


Song of Solomon isn't really the popular/"regular" Bible study material type of book, in fact, I often sense some unknown awkwardness when the book is being mentioned.

Song of Solomon 8:7 shakes me a different way each time I read come across it.
Today's prayer guide reached into my heart and challenged the natural longing for love and being loved in my human-nature, it's something that I have had a hard time surrendering to God.
"Do I really still believe in the love from another human being?"
"Is it really safe to give my heart to another human being?
"I don't want to be hurt again..."



Challenging.


Views about "love" from the popular culture is pretty messed up.
"Looking for the perfect person."
"Right person."
"Wrong person."

"Am I ready?"
"Getting yourself ready."
"Give and take."
Half of the statements above are really not our job to figure out or get done, the other half simply untrue. Being distracted or blinded by those confusing views lead to visible or invisible wounds, for some, those wounds don't even hurt anymore, just numbness and apathy.

People say that children learn to love by being filled and surrendered by love; by being given love, they then learn to copy what is being done to them.

My heart has actually been feeling very paralyzed, so I am on a quest of relearning what true love looks like in God's eyes and how that kind of love can manifest in me so that it could copy that and put it into action, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment