Pregnancy Category C: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks. -- Classification of fetal risks due to pharmaceuticals by FDA.
"Are you currently sexually active?" is not a strange question for females when visiting a physician's office.
One usually easily (and honestly) check either the "yes" or "no" and then move on to the next question.
Since my car accident a few months ago, I've been a very frequent visitor to different doctors' offices, as well as physical therapy appointments. In fact, my visits are so frequent that I usually don't even have to read things over before signing them, because nothing's changed from one appointment to another.
This is not to say that I have not gotten better, I really have, my condition and progress has been so good that I think I could "graduate" from all these frequent visitings soon! (Yay! Praise Jesus!)
So, why did I mention the Pregnancy Category C medications?
Here's what happened:
As my doctor was prescribing some medication for my "post-traumatic headache" (in simpler words: headache from whiplash), a conversation that got me thinking and thus inspired this post took place...
Doctor: [flipping through my paperwork] "So, 26-year-old, not married, correct?"
Me: "Yes."
Doctor: "But in a relationship, right?"
Me: "Nope."
Doctor: [finally lifted his head up from the paperwork and looked at me] "Dating/seeing people?"
Me: "No."
Doctor: "And not sexually active?"
Me: "That's correct."
Doctor: "Not currently pregnant?"
Me: "No."
Doctor: "I usually would order a urine test when I prescribe this kind of medication, but I will take your word for it."
I smiled, and internally screamed :"THANK YOU, JESUS!" (I totally would be upset had he ordered a urine test for me, just sayin'...)
Then he pulled out a paper with the description of "Category C" medication and said: "well, with this medication, I will also prescribe some folic acid and other nutrients to ensure the safety of the fetus just in case. After all, you are in the child-bearing age group."
Me: "Uh, okay, but I am not married."
In my head, I was thinking: "didn't we just covered this!?"
My maybe-in-his-early-40s neurology doctor who is of Indian ethnicity, with his face turning red, cleared his throat and said: "Yes, but... accidents happen... you know."
"Just in case, Charis."
At that moment, I wasn't sure if I should say: 1) Nope, that would not happen because my mom would totally kill me if it does, or, 2) you need to have a talk with Jesus!!!!
As I was trying to think of a proper response, he handed a me a pen to sign the paper stating that I was well aware of the risks of getting pregnant while taking this medicine.
I signed the paper, smiled and said "thank you."
I couldn't think of any better words.
With a saddened heart, I left his office, looking at the prescription, I was upset by how the value that I disagree with was so easily and readily assumed, and was seemingly the "norm."
How I wish it was the other way around.
When a person checks the "single" box, the "are you sexually active?" box can be skipped.
Oh how I wish....
"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." 1 Peter 2:9
No comments:
Post a Comment