Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Forget About The Sleeping Pills... All You Need Is Mom!

I've been feeling really blah the past two days.
Not because I was "being a girl" or anything like that, simply because I had many things to get done but I couldn't sleep much at night!

On Saturday evening, I tossed and turned for a while and finally fell asleep... well, not for long because I had forgotten to silence my phone (smart me!) so a silly notification of some sort woke me up.

And that was the end of my sleepiness for the night.

For the next three hours, I read, I journaled, I lie (the past tense of lay kind of lie!), I zoned out (well, I tried...), and I did everything else that I could think of to put myself back to sleep, but nothing was working!


I used to be a very easy and deep sleeper. I mean, I can sit by the engine of an airplane and pass out like nothing else. I used to worry about two things due to my deep sleep: 1) what if I don't hear my baby cry when I become a mom? 2) what if I miss the sound of Jesus' return?!
Well, the second concern only worried me when I was much younger; and the first concern, people just laugh and say, "it won't be a problem once you become a mom, plus you'll have a husband to help take care of that."... I guess...
But sadly, since my kinda recent accident, all the medication and pain have messed up my sleeping routine and I am now slowing getting back on track.


Anyway, so back to my insomniac night, after many attempts, I finally decided to just sit on my very comfortable couch in the living-room and read the Word and hopefully I could catch some sleep... uh, since I'm the piano accompanist at Church the next morning!

I did eventually fall asleep after a long while, when the birds had begun to chirp.


The next evening, it was cats and dogs outside. On top of the heavy raining, it was rolling thunder that made my house tremble. Rolling thunder in "How Great Thou Art" sounds nice, rolling thunder when you're reading with a cup of tea sounds nice, rolling thunder when you're trying to sleep for the second night in a row... not so great.

I've made all the effort possible to not nap during the day so I may be able to catch some sleep... and I was quite successful, other than the maybe 15 minutes of brief conk out while reading a paper, I didn't nap! And I stayed away from caffeine, mostly, other than a hot chocolate, so when it's time to hit the sack, I could!


Not so true.


I tossed and turned for another night.
Yea, it could be the fact that there are things on my heart so my mind was having a hard time resting... but I really was physically tired and had hoped my physical exhaustion could put me down.


Monday, I was tired. Not just the typical Monday blue kind of tired, I'm talking about TIRED.
"Charis, you look kind of out of it!" was the comment I got a lot throughout the day... and we're talking about someone who is a night-owl and could run on a five-hour sleep easily without being "out of it"!!

I was so tired that the sentence I used the most throughout the day was "I'm so tired."


But when bedtime rolled around, I wasn't tired again!! After talking about being tired all day long, my tiredness vanished!

I was truly frustrated.

There were NO thunder, NO rain, NO caffeine intake during the day, NO nap, and LOTS of business and getting things done!


So I lay in my bed, I prayed earnestly for sleep... and somehow, I started dreaming. (How do you start dreaming without really falling asleep? I have no clue...)

In my dream, I had crawled into my parents' bed and laid next to my mom. I snuggled with her and fell asleep.
Mom's sandals added an inch or two to her height... and I was in flats :)
Snuggling with mom was something that would always produce so much laughter whenever it happened. Simply because my mother, being the 5-foot-tall petite Asian lady, just couldn't stop feeling funny about her 5'5, in her twenties, daughter laying next to her and not the little, once premature, baby girl anymore.

It "felt" so real that when I woke up this morning, I was perplexed and confused about why I'm in my own room and not my parents'!? and where's mom!?


Mom and I when at Seattle when I was three
It's been about two years since I last saw my mom, but we're still close. The love and connection that we share beat any physical distance. I know that she loves me dearly, thinks about me and prays for me daily.

They say that moms are good for many things... here's one more to the I'm-sure-already-very-lengthy list:  moms work better than any sleeping-aid method or medications... even just thoughts of them work wonders!

No comments:

Post a Comment