Friday, June 17, 2011

Kui

(This is an unprofessional yet friendly restaurant review.)


The number of Korean restaurants in CoMO can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand (actually, one finger was enough...). It was therefore cause for celebration when Kui opened on 9th Street earlier this week.



This newly opened establishment is located in a quite immediate MU campus vicinity and serves authentic fare without the noisy crowds of more established restaurants. A short but succinct picture menu shows all the national favorites without drowning the readers with too much variety.

My feeling for Korean food is mixed. Its vigorous, muscular and unsubtle flavor profile makes falling in love with it so irresistibly difficult; yet the heavy marination, spiciness and pickling often challenge (/train?) my tolerance to the next level (and more than usual rice consumption!!)-- making it even more appetizing and captivating.



Most of the meal options are accompanied with soup and salad with a selection of delicious dressings including oriental and ginger flavors .


Quite a feast, huh?!
On a Tuesday evening, Pei-fen and I decided that this newly-opened homy restaurant would be a great place to have our girls date... on my second visit to Kiu, I remembered my camera!


A loving surprise from the chief, who also attends ANF
A crunchy, chewy jumble of savory and sweet, these fresh kimbabs — Korean seaweed rice rolls — reward those who seek them out. I am an egg lover so this absolutely wins my heart (and taste buds)!


Spicy Chicken
Since I recommended chicken to Pei-fen, from my previous experience, she went with my say but upped the spiciness... and it was a great idea!


Bulgogi
Bulgogi, the marinated tender beef, is one of my all-time favorite on a Korean menu and has never let me down. This grilled steak dish is as delicious as it is versatile, so very delightfully perfect with rice and kimchi (duh!).


Very rarely could Pei-fen and I clear our plates the way we did...


Mashi so yo!
Towards the end of our meal, the owner asked me: "mashi so yo?*"
"neh, mashi so yo!" I replied.




ps. On both visits (first one on the opening day with friends Tim, Andrew and Grace), I ran into many Korean friends, including the pastor from the Korean Church and elders from the Church; meaning: lots and lots of very polite bowing :)




* "mashi so yo" means "it's delicious" in Korean, it's one of the few phrases I know in Korean.




No comments:

Post a Comment