Thursday, April 28, 2011

City Lights Day 3-- A Right Heart & Keep Looking Up, Up, Up!

"Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God— soon I'll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He's my God." (Psalm 42:5, MSG)

After getting oriented throughout the weekend, the day of going to the worksite had finally arrived.
A large degree of excitement and anticipation condensed as worksite assignments were given out. As the list went down, teams of four to five were sent out to different worksites.

"More Than Carpentry: Charis is the driver...."
Me, me, me!! That's me!!

I got the map, changed into my working outfit and was very ready to go.



More Than Carpentry is an organization that serves underprivileged people who needs life skills by integrating Christian discipleship, neighborhood outreach, and personal relationships building into career training through the cabinet making apprenticeship programs.


I have never been in a carpentry factory before, this was, like many other City Lights experiences, very eye-opening for me!

The team!

The task for the first day at the worksite was to paint the training room.
Painting... doesn't sound too difficult, right?
Well, not really difficult, but quite labor and focus intensive indeed!

making sure we know what is to be done!
Listening  and following the instruction carefully is essential when trying out a new task in a new environment. We made sure that we understood what is to be done and how should the job be done before we spend hours doing something that's totally off-- not a bad idea at all!


First, the place needs to be cleaned/vacuumed so dusts of different sorts don't get in the way of the paint (so it's pretty!). Since I usually really enjoy vacuuming (if you enjoy cleaning, you know what I'm talking about... that great fulfilling feeling of seeing dirty stuff GONE and everything's so clean!) and they guys are moving stuff out of the room and blending the paints, I took on the job of playing with the big vacuum!


What have I learned besides being able to paint nicely (not quickly... professionalism kicked in and I wanted to make sure that every spot is covered and smooth!)?

Turn to me, and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.” (Isaiah 45:22, NIV)
(or, " Let all the world look to me for salvation! For I am God; there is no other." NLV)
".... stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near." (Luke 21:28b)

As I rubbed my sore neck, rewetted my paint brush, and kept moving the ladder forward, I thought: "hmmm... looking up, huh?"
I couldn't recall how many times in my life was I constantly reminded to look up and keep marching forward with my eyes fixed on Him and not on the situation or surrounding, when walking through confusion, difficulties, or frustration.
Sounds easy, but forgetful as I am, I often needed to be reminded again and again. Thankfully, my Heavenly Father is VERY patient with me.

There were other times when it wasn't the surrounding that was giving me a hard time, but myself. The false-accusion, false- self blame-- false voices that could easily take my focus away and lead to uncertainty or simply feeling... lost.

What, then, could I do?
I have slowly learned that, the truth is, all I could do is look to Jesus, confess my little faith or unbelief, pray for faith and belief, and accept the perfect gift of grace and righteousness.
If I love him (which I know I do, no matter where I am in my walk or how I'm feeling...), I will keep His comments (John 14:15) and follow. Walking with Him is not always easy and doesn't always feel natural, but it comes in time and LOTS of practices-- tripping over and getting up (sometimes, cry a little when tripping over...). The first step always is to turn my face toward the cross-- to look and live.

I sometimes struggle with the feeling of feeling like I just am "not good enough" or "don't have enough to offer" for His kingdom and I would ask God to maybe find someone else to carry on the tasks He's given me. But almost every time, I would then quickly confess for my little faith and ask earnestly for a renewed faith.
Remember how Jesus said that we must become like little children? Well, the older ( :) you can decide to agree or disagree for yourself!) I get, the more I clearly understand: as a matter of fact, all the (Biblical or non- Biblical) study and advanced learning cannot save me, there is nothing I can do to be good enough to receive His grace and to be "enough" for Him, it has all been done. I simply have to have the childlike faith and trust which is required to enter His kingdom. With that kind of faith, I can boldly ask for anything and trust that He is in control and He will provide under and given circumstance.

When I realize how "poor and needy" I am, I would naturally cling onto Him closely and look up towards His wonderful face.
It doesn't take a great exhorter or a highly educated person to be "enough" for Him, it just the simple faith that carries into eternality, and I am very thankful for that!

Lunch time!

When having the faith of an innocent child, I could forget the doubt, the criticisms accumulated (and I really should forget!), fear of any sorts and kinds, or the attempts in my heart of want to please everyone in the world (in another words, "people-pleasing")... and just keep my heart right before God.


Day 1 team!
Getting a little paint on here and there, sore neck and arms, and walking like a duck at the end of the day (from climbing up and down the ladder!) isn't so bad, after all.

And... here are the "after" shots!








No comments:

Post a Comment