They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations. Isaiah 61:4
March 26th, 2011. Cold/Cloudy/Snowy.
Spring Break of 2011, with the deal that I've made with God in mind, I participated in City Lights Urban Project. Knowing that the experience has been a great impact for many, I started praying for it weeks before going, praying for a prepared heart to be stretched, challenged, and shaped.
And it was indeed.
6:30 AM. Woke up, showered, threw my luggage together, got ready, called people I'm picking up, out of my door.
10:00 AM. Everyone in the car, coffee ready, on the road.
The gray sky wasn't too cheerful but having a car full of lovely ladies was.
Having great company made the two hour go by quickly, we were in St. Louis before my shoulders started to become sore from driving.
Signed in, settled in, orientation, bus tour.
As we browsed around some parts of the city in the snow, my eyes were opened, my heart heavied.
A beautiful Catholic cathedral.
A farmer's market where "five fishes and two loaves" experiences took place.
A abandoned paper factory overly polluted with radiation... next to the Big Brothers Big Sisters."
A neighborhood with mansions worth more than what some people-- those standing on the sidewalk totally underdressed for the snow-- could ever imagine making.
A street that segregated the neighborhood by race.
"Charis, do you pity what you see or do you have compassionate for what you see?" the Lord challenged me.
Convicted, exposed, puzzled, confused I was, I wrestled with this question for days...
Curled up in my sleeping-bag, whispering to Him as I fell asleep, I knew this was going to be SOME journey for me!
No comments:
Post a Comment