Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Insomnia & Jurassic Park

This is totally not a very pleasant way to return to my blogging business, but here's a story worth recording.




Those who know me well know that I am usually a very deep sleeper and can easily fall asleep when my head hits the pillow. I can sit in the noisiest area on an airplane, around crying babies, and still be able to fall asleep without much difficulties.


Well, not so true these past few days.


For the past 3 nights, I have been trying to be in bed as early as 11pm, and I've tried to fall asleep, but it's been a waste of my effort every night.
Every night, I'd say good-night to my dear friend Stephanie, I would fall asleep for about 15 minuts and then wake up, and that's it for another 3 hours... until around 3am.


My sleeplessness reached its climax last night.


I had to be up at around 4:30am to drive out to St. Louis this morning, so I carefully calculated and planned to be in bed by 12:30am, the latest.

I was in bed, I fall asleep, but voilĂ , 15 minutes of sleep late I was wide awake.
By the time it happened, I was no longer surprised, just frustrated.
I decided to do some reading and working so that I could fall back to sleep.

An hour later, still no sleep.

And then another hour or so went by, still no sleep.


I decided to change my sleeping location and see if that's do anything.
You see, there is this really comfortable couch in my house, it's so comfortable that being in horizontal positions in it is like giving up your right for staying awake. Most of the time.
It's a sleepless-night hotspot for me and my roommate. Whenever we'd have trouble sleeping, we'd crash in the couch, and we'd be able to get some sleep.


As I was walking toward to couch, with my glasses-less eyes, I saw my roommate already curled up in it.


THAT MADE THE TWO OF US!!
To be honest, it's actually quite sad thinking that both people who've had 12hr+ work days were having trouble going to bed. Miserable.


I grabbed the other couch and decided to give it a shot (and I usually could fall asleep on that one, too!), useless effort.
And guess what? my roommate on the other couch also couldn't sleep!

So, the very frustrated me decided to go to the last available couch in my house, the one in the side-room. (The side-room is where we usually make beds for our guests.)


Did I fall asleep?
Yes, I fell asleep alright...

BUT I had a super tiring dream!!!
I was being chased around by a T-Rex in my dream!

Finally, 4:30am rolled around, my alarm went off, and the even more tired me got up.



First insomnia, then Jurassic Park.

What a night!



Some numbers here:
Hours of sleep (or, running for life...): 1.2
Hours of driving done following the survival of the dinosaur chase: 1.5
Cups of coffee consumed: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment