“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” II Corinthians 12:9 [The Bible] Just this and that about my life...
Friday, April 6, 2012
CityLights: When, Not If.
As a CityLights tradition, on Sunday after Church service, everyone's distributed and assigned to different families to enjoy the hospitality of members from the Church.
This year, I went to the Riccis. A very lovely family of 7, with the heart and vision to be overseas ministers. The couple went to school to become a lawyer and a teacher, then they encountered Jesus and that changed their life and decisions.
Skip, the husband, is still a part-time practicing lawyer to financially support the family and going to seminary part-time for a degree in Christian counseling; Carrie, the wife, volunteers to serve the community by teaching ESL lessons as well as taking care of their five children.
While people are getting aquatinted with the different members of the family and parts of the home, I had the privilege of hanging out with the youngest member of the family.
As I attempted to help in the kitchen (Carrie was quite ready for us so there weren't much help needed...), Skip and Carrie asked about where I am in life.
""When", not "if", Charis." they both said to me, after hearing my responses to their questions.
I didn't realize that when I speak about the different things I'm hoping to see happening in my future, I would use "if"and not "when."
"If I marry."
"If I have children."
"If I..."
(But strangely, I'd say "when I graduate"...)
It got me thinking... why are there areas in my life where I am more certain about happening than others?
Does it have to do with having faith and trusting?
Am I lacking the ability to hope?
Or can I argue that I was just being realistic?
As I thought about it more, a verse in the Book of Mark came to me: "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mark 11:24)
I guess that is what the Riccis meant when they said ""when", not "if", Charis."
Okay, when, not if.
Labels:
Life- this and that
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment