Saturday, October 27, 2012

All Good Things...

"“When you enter a house, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ If a man of peace is there, your peace will rest on him; if not, it will return to you." (Luke 10: 5, 6)

Less than three weeks ago, I had some fruitful experiences in Columbia College, so this week, as I got back from Iowa, I was pretty excited about doing some follow-up!

There is a gospel song that I've liked a lot, called "All Good Things Will Be Added Unto You." The words were taken from Matthew 6:33 and it goes like this: "Seek ye first the kingdom of His love, make Him first in everything you do, if you'll just trust and never doubt what He said, all good things will be added unto you. He's got everything you need, all He ask is that you heed, and be faithful till the very end..." As the Lord is stretching me and growing my faith and obedience, I am experience His goodness more and more, and He just doesn't cease surprising me!
(My Fall Conference reminder/encouragement was: following Jesus courageously **regardless** (happy times, rough times, comfortable times, painful times, highs & lows, etc... even when there's fear and uncertainty in my heart.) As the song says,"be faithful till the very end.")


I met with my sweet Korean friend and her friends (!!!) on Tuesday, which I will blog about it later, and today I brought Colter with me to check the International Students Association meeting out.

We talked about it as we were driving over and decided that we're actually not going to be attending the meeting but just chilling and waiting for the meeting to let out and try to talk to some folks. When the meeting was in session, I kept asking Jesus: "what is our next step, Lord? do we approach students? do I go an say hello to the admin person?"


When the meeting let out, I decided to go and say hello to Britta, the International Center director, whom the students have to me would be a good person to build some relationship with. I was hoping to at least have some friendly initial connections and make sure what we're doing is on her radar. I introduced myself and my hopes (to see if there are ways we can serve the international student community in CC) to her and told her that I am wanting to find out a bit more about international students on campus.

"Would you like to come to my office and we can talk for a bit?" she very kindly asked.
I was surprised (and nervous) but quickly accepted her invitation... I totally thought that we'd just stand there and exchange s few words of info!

In her office, I got to share about InterVarsity's vision (thanks to all the practicing for donor's meeting!!) and about what I am currently doing on CC campus. Britta was very welcoming and gave me lots of info about the international student community on CC campus.
"Well, we can invite you to share about InterVarsity and things that you want to do in one of our meetings, you can see how people respond to in and then plan your next steps accordingly," she offered, "you can bring some of MU students with you to the meeting, too! We can have sign-up sheets and give students your info."

"Oh, sure, that would be great!" I accepted the offer, greeted and thanked her, said goodbye, and walked out of her office. As I was walking out, I thought to myself: "uh, wait, really? I am really going to get to do this?" Colter was very excited when I debriefed with him, and we thought that we'd spend our following Start Something New meeting brainstorming about how we can introduce what we're doing here and plan something so we'd have things to invited people to.


Praise Jesus!!!


Since I was gone for the last two meetings, I got to hear my SSNers sharing about things that they've learned from last two sessions during our meeting today and was so thankful to find out that they're slowing coming to the same page and catching on the the vision!

As I was gong through the ideas that've thrown out, "potluck" came up.
"Oh, a potluck is a good idea, but I'd imagine that would add extra load to your already full plates!" I thought out loud.
Tim, who resurrendered his life to Jesus during Catalyst, said: "I'm sorry Charis, but I have to disagree... I mean, we could all bring a plate that represent our culture and stuff, that'd be fun!"
I was shocked. I mean, this is a young sophomore guy telling me that he'd be willing to cook!


I casted the vision again and did some visioning by sharing my story about the Korean girls... it was great seeing SSNers excited about planning a low-key social for CC!


As we were walking out, Tony, a senior ACFer who is very close to me, said to me: "Charis, I am serious, hearing your story and seeing your enthusiasm really got me excited about this, I'm pumped about what's gonna happen!"


Oh dear Jesus, I am soooo thankful for a fruitful day! Not only that I got to have a chance to be connected with CC more, but also seeing how my ACF SSNers are getting the vision and are actually excited about seeing something happen.


Today had been a great day!



ps. I asked my SSNers: "what are things that drawn you to ACF?" as a way of getting them to think about what kind of community could we form to serve CC... their answers were so heart-warming, one of them said: "it's really good to know that we have staff who are committed to caring for us and our growth and to grow and maintain this community." :) woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment